History of Tokaj

The town of Tokaj lies at the confluence of the rivers Tisza and Bodrog, in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county, in the northeastern part of Hungary. see on map
The Tokaj region was mentioned in 1067 as a wine growing region. The town itself was first mentioned by the name of Tokaj in a document dated 1353. The town has always played an important role in Hungary, and had an earth castle since the 12th century. The castle was destroyed by the invading Mongol hordes. Later, in the 14th century a stone castle is mentioned, which was finally destroyed for unknown reasons in the early 18th century by Ferenc Rákóczi II.
The town of Tokaj lies in a startegic place, being the most important river crossing of the country, enabling the commercial connection between the eastern Felvidék and the Great Plains of the Alföld.
Apart from its strategic importance, Tokaj also has excellent natural characteristics, thanks to being located at the meeting of the Zemplén Mountains, the Nyírség Hills and the plains of the Bodrogköz and Taktaköz.

Wine culture

The region was first declared protected in 1737 by a royal statute claiming it a secured wine region.
The distinct viticultural tradition that has existed for at least a thousand years and survived intact to the present day, and the unity of the wine region have been the reasons for declaring the Tokaj Historical Wine Region as part of the World Heritage in 2002, officially belonging to the most famous and protected areas of the world.



CSI Tokaj infomap

Szerelmi pincesor